Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Hard Day

It was a hard day. I had to compose 2 different recommendation letters for myself from the perspectives of 2 different persons. I was shocked after knowing that I have to do all these by myself and I do not even know myself well enough! I soon learned that students in this country have to do this kind of thing some time because professors are highly engaged creatures. I had to do it myself, submit and leave them to the prof.s' final corrections.

It was a interesting journey indeed. After looking at a few samples online I started composing. On one hand I was drowning in good words that express the same meaning because I don't want the 2 prof.s to use the same expressions, on the other hand I found some other character that I wish to have as my own possession. In other words, I found something WANTING about myself. It was just the kind of experience that one of the prof.s told me "a good chance to think of oneself"

The ability to know oneself just by oneself turned out to be extremely important to a japanese person who is a part of the Japanese society because most Japanese people never say their opinions about you directly. You are suppose to "read the air" and figure it out all  by yourself. I will write a special post about "air-reading" some time, it is very interesting as a cultural phenomena that exists only in Japan. 

No comments: